Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Weapons Wednesday!!!


KrisK is back this week, he is discussing survival rifles....ENJOY!!

-What's up TKZ' Ers of the world, Welcome back to another Weapon Wednesday. I'm KrisK and I'll be your host. Today we're talking about survival rifles. The Ruger 10/22 Breakdown Rifle, the Henry Arms US Survival AR-7 Rifle, and the Springfield M6 Scout Survival Rifle.


    All three of these rifles make good survival rifles but, today I'm going to go over the Pros/Cons of each one so you can decide which one best suites your needs. These are not meant to be Zombie Killers (although they may scramble some brains at closer ranges) and they're not meant to be target rifles. You're not going to be shooting tacks at 200 yards with these things, HOWEVER they will allow you to hunt game and do other various tasks to survive out there in the wilderness.
    First off we have the Ruger 10/22 Breakdown Rifle...


PROS

* Easy to shoot, Feels good in your hands( feels more like a regular 10/22, just a lot lighter)
* 10 round clip (one included )
* Semi-Automatic
* Limited moving parts


CONS

* .22Lr is limited on power
* Only shoots one type of ammo
* Plastic stock
* No Shotgun

- Overall this Ruger 10/22 is a solid choice in survival rifle. It has the classic Ruger 10/22 ergonomics & accuracy, and it conveniently breaks down into two pieces so you can shove it in your back pack while hiking or in your Bug-Out Bag.

    Second, we have the Henry Arms US Survival AR-7 Rifle


PROS

* Easy to shoot, decent ergonomics ( for a survival rifle )
* 8 Round clip ( two included )
* Semi-Automatic
* Limited moving parts
* Rifle breaks down and fits into the buttstock ( which is waterproof!! )
* Blaze orange front sight post
* It FLOATS! ( one of my favorite things about this rifle hehe)

                             



CONS

* Again the .22Lr is limited on power
* Only shoots one type of ammo
* Plastic construction
* No shotgun

- Here, as you can see. The Henry is also a great choice in rifle. It's compact, easy to carry, waterproof, and did I mention that it floats!? Not really an option that would come in handy everyday but, if you slip and fall in to a river, you'll be glad when your rifle doesn't sink to the bottom.

    Last but not least, The Springfield Armory M6 Scout Survival Rifle


PROS

* VERY limited moving parts
* Two barrels that incorporate a .22Lr barrel, and a .410 Shotgun Barrel ( yes, I said Shotgun barrel )
* Ammo storage in the butt stock
* Trigger works very well with gloves
* Did I mention it has a shotgun...



CONS

*Construction - Not comfortable to shoot ( can be greatly improved with some Para Cord )
* Can be difficult to reload
* Only single shot - No Semi-Auto
* Pin that joins the upper reciever to the lower receiver is not attached so if you're not paying attention it can get lost pretty easily
* No longer in production - Must buy used

All in all these are all great rifles. If I had to choose one I think I'd go with the M6, it's virtually indestructible.. What would you guys choose? Let me know in the comments below.

Questions, comments, suggestions? Let a brotha know, KrisK signing out and as always, Happy Hunting!

5 comments:

  1. Love it! Great job Kris. I'm a big fan of the AR-7. Dan and I have had discussions about this rifle before. But the Springfield has a shotgun!! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George. I'd take them all if I could haha..

      Delete
  2. I have the Ruger TakeDown. I've replaced a few of the plastic bits with the metal versions from a regular 10/22. That raises the weight a few ounces but gives it a better "heft". I love the rifle except for the 6 pound trigger(which Ruger is famous for). I would rather have the Springfield M6 but with the price of a used M6 between $600 and $900, I'll have to save up a bit for that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, those Ruger triggers suck. Trigger kits are fairly inexpensive though.. Unless you get a KIDD or something...

      Delete
  3. Really digging the Henry due to its size. Nice write up.

    ReplyDelete