Thursday, July 26, 2012

WEAPONS WEDNESDAY...Experiment #1



      Good Evening good readers of the world!  This is our first 'Weapons Wednesday', and it will become a normal weekly occurrence.  Yesterday we heard some pretty decent information from a dedicated reader specifically oriented towards firearms.  So, we asked him (he'll be known as KrisK) to help us out a bit and this is what he came back with...our first weapon build (sweet).  Follow along and please comment...



-The TKZ AR-BUID

Fist off let me thank the guys here at TKZ for allowing me to write as a guest here on the website. Over the next few weeks I'm going to be going over AR's and accessories for your ultimate zombie slaying AR-15. This week I'm going to talk about a large portion of the meat and potatoes meaning, the gun itself. The one pictured above is one I built personally and I love it. The most effective weapon you can have is one you're comfortable with and can shoot consistently without thinking about it. There were a lot of things that went in to consideration when I built this gun. I wanted something light weight, accurate, easy to maintain, and easy to find ammunition for. This AR weighs 9 lbs unloaded (yes I weighed it), it's accurate out to 300 yards (or further with an optic but, we will get in to that another time) and it shoots the standard 5.56x45mm NATO army surplus round. 


PARTS 

This is where the magic happens. Lets talk components. I'm going to list everything included and prices so you can get an idea of what it would take to build/buy one yourself.

POF(Patriot Ordinance Factory) billet Lower Receiver - $350

POF Billet Upper Receiver w/ monolithic rail and Piston System and NP3 coated bolt carrier group - $1,000 used off of http://www.ar15.com/ forum

POF 18" Hammer Forger Fluted Barrel - included with upper receiver

Magpul AFG2 Angled foregrip - $18-35 depending on where you buy it

Houge pistol grip - $20

Vltor buffer tube and buffer spring - gun show $25

Magpul STR adjustable butt stock - $85

DPS lower parts kit and trigger assembly - $50-80 depending

Magpul enhanced trigger Gaurd - $13

Magpul MBUS generation 2 flip up sights - $55 for the front and rear, bought at a gun show

That's a grand total of Just over 1,500 dollars.

The Summary 

Now I know what you're thinking. That's a lot of money to build an AR-15 but there are reasons why I spent that much. Can you do it cheaper, Sure. Do you want to, probably not. This gun is reliable, clean, accurate, and for the most part light weight. stay tuned during the weeks to come and I will go in to greater detail for why I chose the things I did for this build and also go in to some tactical add-ons to enhance your zombie killing prowess.. 10-4 over and out. -

Thanks KrisK, talk to you in the near future. _TKZ out.

4 comments:

  1. Great contribution KrisK!

    I would love to build one of these, but here in NJ I needed a firearms ID card (and FBI profile) just to buy a pellet gun! Maybe one day I'll move to the great state of Texas and have a chance to enjoy my second amendment rights.

    We're looking forward to future insights on firearms.

    Thanks again
    George

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome guys. It was my pleasure. Just a quick correction, it is a DPMS lower parts kit. Slight miss type there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes, a bipod can easily be mounted to the rail on the underside of the gun with just a few screws.

      Delete