Sunday, July 22, 2012

Solar Powered... err... Power

Xantrex XPower Powerpack Solar 400
As I had mentioned in my last post, when the "you know what" hits the fan, all I'm worried about it is how I will charge my iPhone… and iPad… and camera… and, well you get the picture.  When it comes to portable power, I love solar.  It's free, it's clean and it's always available… except at night… and when it's overcast. 

Last August, Hurricane Irene hit New Jersey and caused quite a bit of damage.  While I do realize that this was a tiny event compared to say a Katrina or Hurricane Andrew, this was still a big storm for New Jersey standards. About 9pm on Saturday night (August 27th), before the real heavy winds kicked up we lost our power.  Boom!  That quick we found ourselves in the dark… really dark.  There were no street lights, no moonlight, nothing but complete darkness.  Of course we had flashlights and candles ready, but we weren't prepared for three days of it… or were we? (of course we were.)


Now, I'm sure that the two of you who are reading this are thinking "George has a gas generator… big deal".  Well, I can't use a gas generator inside the house and I can't run it outside during the hurricane.  I certainly can't use one during a zombie event because it will surely attract them.  But guess what I can use safely inside the house and it runs silent… a SOLAR power-pack.  Specifically the Xantrex Technologies XPower Powerpack Solar 400 .


Detachable solar panel
It features 400w of back-up power, a tethered solar panel, (2) on-board LED lights, USB charging ports, 12v DC power outlet and (2) standard 115v outlets.  The control panel and LED display make it easy know the charging status and how much power you are using. You can charge it by AC with the included charger, DC with the included cigarette lighter cord or by my favorite method… free sunlight!  On a full charge it can run a 14w compact fluorescent lightbulb for 5.5 hours. The two on-board LED lights, which put out a good bit of light, can run for 45 hours!

I keep mine on a bookcase near a window.  With the detached solar panel in the adjacent window, this unit is always fully charged and ready to go.  When Irene hit and knocked out the power, I ran two work-lights with 7w bulbs… one to the kitchen and one to the main bathroom.  I also kept two iPhones charged, my iPad and my portable digital TV!  Each day I simply placed the unit outside to collect more sunlight and brought it back in to use at night.  It never ran below 70% remaining power.

While Xantrex no longer makes this specific product, they are readily available from many retailers on the internet.  Xantrex also makes an impressive line of AC/DC powerpacks which are rated as high as 1800w!

No comments:

Post a Comment